Sunday, October 2, 2011

Vegan MoFo- Vegan Big Macs



One of my favorite sandwiches is my version of Big Macs.  Although they are quite different than their McDonalds cousin, do not be tricked... although completely vegan these little guys are far from healthy.


 To create the Big Mac, I start by making a recipe of Veggie Burgers out of Vegan with a Vengeance.  It's the perfect burger recipe for this sandwich because it makes burgers that a super thin and crispy. 
I also make a batch of Special Sauce because it needs to chill in the fridge for a bit.
Special Sauce
1/2 cup Vegenaise
2 tablespoons low fat french dressing
4 tablespoons minced sweet pickles
1 tablespoon minced white onion
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
pinch of salt
Mix all of these ingredients together and stick the sauce in the fridge to chill.


 Once the burgers are done I melt a bit of Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds on top.  Then it's time to build the masterpiece.  I start with a whole wheat bun then layer from there...  burger with cheese, sweet pickles, minced white onion, shredded lettuce, special sauce, bun... repeat!  This double decker burger is super messy to eat, but is delicious all the way through!

11 comments:

  1. OOO this looks amazing. I've had the bigger mac Madeleine Bistro which is great but am very excited to see a version I can make at home. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never liked Big Macs, but you're so right - the key to an awesome veg burger is toppings - I myself love this combo though I'm usually too lazy for the dressing so I just stir ketchup and vegenaise together on the bun and slap some pickles on it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dying, this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAAAH! I kind of need that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone ! I am glad that someone besides me can now enjoy this delicious treat !

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGOODNESS! Amazing. Got to try these, and I am obsessed with veggie burgers (so I guess I'll have to get VWAV, one of Isa's books that I don't have!)

    Found you in the MoFo thread, I'm sure I'll see you around!

    Later!
    Vegan Fazool
    MoFo: Party in the Pantry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Dawn ! Let me know how they turn out. And yes do get VWAV. It has a ton of fantastic recipes that I use often in it ! :-)
    thanks for sharing the vegan love !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I MUST try that burger recipe - that look deeeeeeee-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I got VWAV from my library and renewed it a few times, but I think I definitely have to own it!

    P.S. you helped to inspire the post I am working on right now! And you made it into my new MoFo Friends round-up from yesterday :-)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! That looks seriously amazing!

    ReplyDelete