Saturday, May 14, 2011

Unfried Rice and Hoison-Mustard Tofu


After many evenings of soup for dinner, I got a craving for something that is super unhealthy and incredibly NOT vegan, Chinese Fried Rice.  With this sinful side dish on my mind I turned to my favorite cookbook and found a recipe for Unfried Rice.  Although I was skeptical that this dish wouldn't satisfy my junk food craving I decided to give it a shot.  I also made some Hoison-Mustard Tofu to eat along with it.


The rice was made of brown rice, sesame oil, shallots, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and green onion.  This was the perfect recipe to clean out the fridge with, so I added steamed broccoli, cauliflower and peas to bulk it up a bit.  This dish was much, much, healthier without sacrificing one bit of flavor. Who needs unhealthy when healthy tastes so good?


As far as the Hoison-Mustard Tofu went, I made it almost exactly the same as I did the last time.  The major difference was the brand of tofu I bought.  This time I tried out  a local Chicago company Phoenix Bean Tofu.  I was completely sold on this brand it was dense and chewy without having to press it!  I am quite sure I will be sticking with this kind in the future.  


No comments:

Post a Comment