Sunday, October 16, 2011

Vegan MoFo- Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Pancakes





















This morning my niece Olivia and nephew Ethan came over VERY early to hang out with us for the day.  Since we were up before 10 am it was the perfect excuse to make and extravagant breakfast.  I figured if I wanted to impress my niece and nephew, chocolate needed to be in involved, so I made Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Pancakes from Vegan With a Vengeance, Chocolate Drizzle and Sweet Cashew Cream from Vegan Brunch and a batch of oven baked potatoes. 


The cashew cream needed to rest in the fridge for an hour or so to firm up, so I made that first.  It was an easy recipe made of soaked cashews, almond milk, agave and vanilla extract. After that I tossed the potatoes in the oven with loads of onions, olive oil, coarse salt and pepper.  


With the potatoes in the oven, it was time to make the chocolate sauce which was made of almond milk, chocolate chips and vanilla extract.  Last but not least Olivia and I made the pancakes.  


We all cleaned our plates!  Olivia said, "These pancakes are...YUM!"  and after a little encouragement we even got her to reluctantly try the potatoes. To our surprise and hers she said, "wait... I actually really like these!"


Ethan skipped the potatoes and sauces and had his pancakes with maple syrup.  He gobbled them up so we could tell he liked them even though his preteen attitude forced him to say, "Eh... they, were alright..."
Jared and I both thought that everything was delicious!  Sharing breakfast with two of our favorite littles makes rising early totally worthwhile! 

2 comments:

  1. Since I have a 3 1/2 yo son, I'm wondering just HOW early your niece & nephew were dropped off :-)

    I really really have to pick up VWAV, though for breakfast I just depend on Vegan Brunch (which I love) and for dinners I use VCon, but VWAV needs to come to my house at some point! I think I need to ask Santa for a copy :-)

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were dropped off at 7:20am, which is VERY early for us! You can get VWAV on amazon for 7 bucks used. What's stopping you? :-) It's a staple in our place, so I'm sure it will be in yours too!

    ReplyDelete